Monday, July 9, 2012

Even the president of the United States must beware of grammar goofs.

"I believe it's time to let the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, folks like myself, to expire."  What is wrong with this pronouncement that President Obama said today?  I ask you, what is wrong with this PRONOUNcement?  It is, of course, the incorrect use of the reflexive pronoun, "myself."

Obama has fallen into the trap of thinking that using "myself" makes him sound more sophisticated and educated.  Sorry, Mr. President.  Myself is a reflexive pronoun-- Used correctly, you might find it in phrases such as "I did it myself" or "Most people like like to read novels, but I, myself, prefer history books."  The word you should have used is simple, little, ordinary me.

Me is the perfectly honorable, sophisticated, and correct word to use in your sentence.  "I believe it's time to let the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans, folks like me, to expire." Me.  Me. Please remember... me.

No comments:

Post a Comment